If you want to succeed, you need to set goals. Without goals, you lack focus and direction. Goal setting provides you a benchmark for determining whether you are actually succeeding and also allows you to take control of your life’s direction. To accomplish your goals, you need to know how to set them.
In this blog post, I will be sharing with you how am able to set goals and how you can set goals and actually achieve these goals.
Here are my step by step processes of goal setting.
- Know your Starting Point and where you want to be.
The first thing you need to do is know where you’re right now and where you’re supposed to be. Know your starting point, “this is where I am, I don’t like this place, I want to go further”. Now that you’re aware of where you want to be.
The next step is
- Set the Goal (Pen it Down on Paper).
Your goals should scare you a little bit. It shouldn’t be something that you look at and say I know I can get this fast. But don’t let it overwhelm you. Your goals should scare you a little bit and also excite you. So I had a goal of publishing at least 6 quality content on my blog this January, am so close to that goal, as of today am writing this article. Probably when this post goes public I would have already hit that goal for the month of January.
It was very exciting to set that goal, because I mean when I started blogging on January 11th, I told myself I would love to publish quality content twice a week. It is a very exciting goal to grow, It should excite you a lot, but it will scare you.
To be very honest I was scared, “what if I don’t hit my goal was always on my mind”.
- Set Smart Goals.
You have probably heard of SMART goals already. But do you always apply the rule? The simple fact is that for goals to be powerful, they should be SMART.
S – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Attainable
R – Realistic
T – Timely
- Specific: set specific goals. Your goals must be clear and well defined. Vague or generalized goals are unhelpful because they don’t provide sufficient direction. Looking at the way things are, am setting specific goals as it is, “publish content twice a week”. Make it as easy as you can by defining precisely where you want to end up.
- Measurable: Your goals have to be measurable. Include dates; exact amounts etc in your goals so you can measure your degree of success. Without a way to measure your success, you miss out on the celebration that comes with knowing you have actually achieved something.
- Attainable: Make sure your goals are achievable. What that means is, you know that this is something you can do; you know that people have done it before and they have gotten results. So if they have gotten results, you then reflect and look at all those factors and know if this is something you can achieve. If not, then you have to re-strategize.
- Realistic: Your goals need to be realistic. For your goal to be realistic, it has to be something that can definitely happen. And believe that it can be achieved. The realistic part of the goal and the attainable part of the goal, go together. So make sure your goals are realistic to the point that you know it’s achievable.
- Timely: Make sure that your goals are timely. Your goals must have a deadline. This means that you know when you can celebrate success. When you’re working on a deadline, your sense of urgency increases, and achievement will come that much quicker.
- Have a Plan.
You can just set a goal and leave it like that; you have to plan the things you’re going to do. This step is often missed in the process of goal setting. What I love to do, is write out the individual steps, and then cross each one off as I complete it. This really helps me to know that am making progress towards the ultimate goal.
- Have a Positive Mindset.
Now that you have the goal, you have the plan; you need to be ready. Your mindset needs to be set on a positive scale. You need to have all the positivity and motivation you can get. Surround yourself with encouraging people. And stick to your goal and the time you’ve set.
Don’t give up on your goals BASICALLY.
Be ready for it and GO FOR IT!!
- Re-strategize (if need be).
Lastly, you’ve done all of these mentioned above, and possibly you don’t hit that goal, definitely don’t beat yourself up. Just relax, re-strategize, find out and figure out what were the obstacles that made you not to achieve that goal.
I hope you enjoyed this post.
Did you find it helpful??
If YES, let me know in the comment section.
Also don’t forget to share this!!!
Yeah….till next time